What are the different types of bedding?
Have you ever wondered why bedding section in every store is large? There are different types of pillows, sheets and bed coverings. It does not stop with types, there are various colors, prints and sizes. Firstly it will be bit confusing but later after understating the proper definition for these terms, you will be able to understand and find the right kind of material. Despite of linen, bed covering, pillow or the cushion inside the duvet cover, you should understand every material need and its types.
Bed linen types
- Top or flat sheet – This is the sheet that separated you from comforter, quilt or blanket.
- Bottom or fitted sheet – This is the sheet with elastic edges that fit your mattress. Nowadays mattresses are grown thicker, it is important to check the measurement for the sheet to get perfect fit.
- Bedspread – It the thin decorative covering that covers entire bed and sometimes touches the floor. Thus few common materials used are cotton, chenille, wool, polyster and many more. This also comes with different bedding designs. Thus majority of people choose to buy floral style bedding.
- Coverlet – This is found on top of the bedspread. Normally it would not touch the floor. This actually the bed accents that sit top without covering pillow. This is also used as the foot runners.
- Blanket – This is used to get warmth while sleeping. It is mostly made of cotton, wool, microfiber or a blend of fibers.
- Comforter – It is a bed cover stuffed with cotton fibers and used to increase the warmth in bed.
- Duvet – This is similar to comforter and the only difference is that it uses a duvet cover.
- Duvet cover – This encases and protects duvet like an envelope. This is the decorative fabric that has wide choice to look.
Other bedding accessories
- Pillow – Pillow is available in different shape and size. You need to choose depending on your comfort. The standard size for pillow is available in rectangular shape. Thus pillow stuffed with soft cotton will result with effective comfort.
- Bed skirt or rust ruffle – It is a kind of decorative item used in the sides of the mattress and extended to bottom. The main purpose of bed skirt is to hide the box spring.
- Throw blanket – This is smaller than usual blanket that adds extra warmth at the foot of the bed.
- Mattress pad – This is called mattress topper or under pad. This is used as padding that adds comfort.