The pros and cons of hardwood flooring that each homeowner should know
As an interior designer or just a simple homeowner, your choice of different flooring materials should satisfy your needs and wants. And if you are someone that is planning to fix something or enhance something in your house, the flooring should be suitable for the significant wear and tear factor.
There are some flooring choices that are no-brainers such as tiles that are suitable for bathrooms, for example, while others are subjected to the home’s entire style and the value according to the local market’s preferences.
If you are planning to renovate your home to give it more aesthetics and appeal, it would totally make sense if you invest more in the flooring. First off, you should be looking out for the flooring that suits your entire budget and provides you the rich feel of each step of your feet. There are different hardwood flooring types that you can choose from depending on the type of wood you prefer.
In this post, let us talk about some of the best things you can get from installing hardwood flooring in your home as well as some downsides that come with it so that you will be more knowledgeable about it and get more ideas on how to enhance it more to get the best out of it.
Advantages of hardwood flooring
- Long-term investment– Hardwood flooring tends to last up to a century depending on how you maintain it. It might seem like to be a huge investment to come to think of it, however, you do not need to replace this kind of flooring every two decades like other types of flooring. As long as you are free from termites and other wear and tear factors, your hardwood flooring will last for generations which can be a great return on investment.
- A wide variety of woods to choose from– When you are planning to choose for hardwood flooring, you will be offered a wide array of different types of woods that you can select as the main material for the flooring. Of course, this depends on your budget and the availability of the type of wood. Also, aesthetically, each plank of wood has its own distinct color and patterns making it unique and appealing.
- Ageless quality– Your carpet will wear out, your tiles will start to crack and chip and your vinyl will start to rip off, but hardwood flooring will stay the same for many, many years. It also comes with low maintenance if you want to bring the shine back; all you need is floor wax or a little bit of re-sanding.
Disadvantages of hardwood flooring
- Very costly investment– Knowing that it is completely durable and ageless, the cost of installing wooden flooring in your home is actually a very hefty investment compared to purchasing carpets and tiles. This might not be a budget-friendly home renovation and not an ideal way to invest if you have a tight budget.
- Risk of getting termite attack– The number one enemy of wood is termites and this can damage the wood’s integrity and durability up to the point that it can be weakened, affecting everything that surrounds it. Infestations can be prevented; however, you never know when it is going to strike.
- Prone to scratching– Wooden flooring is prone to scratches and dents which is why you should take extra care of it. It can also be easily stained with liquid spillage as well.