Cushion and Throw Pillows: Here’s Everything You Need to Know
Aside from other home decorations, throw pillows or cushions can change the overall appearance and ambiance of the house. It can be an update for the upcoming seasons such as Christmas, Valentines, etc. or perhaps, you’re trying to mix and match specific colors depending on your mood for the month. Decorating a house needs a little investment of your time and of course, money. Since we’re talking about pillows, to complement your pillows to the current theme of the house, you’ll need Cushion Covers.
There are thousands of colorful prints, fabrics, and fills to choose from, so how can you narrow down your list up to the best? Today, this article gathered all the necessary information you may need when selecting a cushion cover for your pillows. This simple guide will help you find the best pillowcase for your home.
The Shape and Size
Cushion or throw pillowcase comes in different shapes and sizes. If you want a more dynamic look, choosing the best pillowcase may vary by its shape and size that will match the furniture.
- Square: It is the most common throw pillow shape. It typically has a 16, 18, or 20-inch versions. This square pillowcase comes with two different sizes: smaller and larger one. Also, if you change your home decoration more frequently, you should pick a throw pillow that comes in standard sizes. Choosing a throw pillow in standard size makes it easier to find a replacement cover for it
- Round: This type of throw pillows is quite less common compared to square, but it can be a perfect choice if used to create a balance between square and rectangular pillows
- Bolster: It is a cylinder-shaped throw pillow, and they are meant to make your arms or back comfortable when seated. It is commonly used on beds or couch
- Lumbar: This type of throw pillows has an oblong-rectangular shape. Same with bolster, it was initially designed to give comfort for the back. But today, it is often used for ornamental purposes, and sometimes to offset a square pillow or to add as a decoration for an armchair.
Three common materials are used to fill a throw pillow, and it is a combination of the following fills below:
- Polyester: It is the least expensive type of pillow fill. It is made from synthetic polyester, and since this is cheap compared to other fills, it is perfect to use as toss pillows mainly for home decorations only. But always make sure that is tightly packed to avoid lumps and bumps
- Down: It is a softer and longer-lasting type of synthetic fill, though it can cost you twice as the polyester. It is a type of pillow that can be fluffed back into shape, and it provides more comfort unlike the others
- Foam: This type is commonly used for square-shaped and lumbar pillows as it is also soft like down. But it is more reserved for bolsters or rounded throw pillows.
There’s a higher chance that you might encounter almost any fabrics, but below are the most popular type:
- Faux fur
Regardless of what you choose, as long as the pillows will complement your house decoration, then it is worth buying for.